Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Kenya to conduct manpower survey next year in 2010

Published on 30/10/2009 by Luke Anami [The Standard]

A survey to determine the level of manpower in Kenya will be carried out next year, the first time in twenty years.

The National Manpower Survey, will be conducted in all administrative districts countrywide, as well as mission’s abroad.

"Because Kenya has not conducted a survey in the last 20 years, the country lacks adequate, timely and reliable data, which is key to policy formulation, planning, training and utilization of human resources," Mrs Beatrice Kituyi, Permanent secretary Ministry of Labour said on Thursday.

"Previously, Kenya has conducted four (4) surveys, the first one being in 1964 to assess the gap left by the exit of high level manpower following independence,"

She said subsequent surveys were conducted in 1967, 1972 and 1986-1988. The International Labour Organization (ILO) requires that a survey be carried out every 5 years.

Meet economic needs

The exercise will take off in January next year, with a pilot survey expected to be completed by March 2010.

"The exercise will take 18 months starting, in January next year and cost approximately Sh732,849,940," Mrs Kituyi said when she chaired the National Committee of Manpower survey on Thursday.

"The government will fund 20 per cent of the budget while the EAC will mobilize funding for the remaining 80 per cent."

Overall, the survey will assist the Government in planning and programming appropriate educational and vocational training systems to meet the economy’s current and projected human capital requirements.